In the midst of what is supposed to be such a joyous season, it seems I have been hearing of so much sadness lately. Today was no different. My mom adopted a massive dog - an American Bulldog - through an animal rights organization last year. I was shocked when she did this because she loved her last dog so much, she vowed to never have another dog again. Actually, she wanted us to adopt him after my beloved Holly, whom I adored for 15 years, died right after Hurricane Ike. But we decided he wasn't the dog for us and she adopted him. It was not without grief, by the way. Many of the the people she had to deal with made the entire process very difficult. (Side note - it works the same way for children, too!).
Finally, he was hers and she let me choose his name. Since he was partially intended as security, I suggested she name him Brinx. She did.
Today, Brinx had to be put to down. He stopped eating last week and after several very expensive trips to the vet and finally a canine internist today, my mom learned that Brinx had cancer.
I'm so happy for the time that he had with my mom. But I'm so sad that he is gone. What a cool dog he was. Huge, cuddly and very slobbery - just the way a dog should be!
Orphan Sunday, November 6th, 2011
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment