Donovan begins t-ball tomorrow evening. This first "practice" is really a parent meet n' greet. But the coach already called and said that they will practice 3 nights each week....what?!?!?!?! And even more than that...the practice and game schedule is not set on a consistent night-per-week basis. It's going to change from week-to-week. This is not good for Kevin since he needs advance notice to be able to arrange his work schedule. And he really wants to be there for Donovan - he such an awesome Daddy!!
Yes, I do know that I live in Texas where sports are some kind of insane obsession with some people. I expect that some parents will be more into this than we will. But for Donovan, we want the experience of being part of a team - something greater than himself, where the parts contribute to a whole. We also like the idea of Donovan developing athletic skill and coordination since he seems to have natural abilities in this area - and plenty of energy, too. :) But we also want him to just have fun.
I really do not understand the practice-3-times-per-week thing. Maybe I'm missing something. In my non-athletic mind (since I am challenged by even walking) I believe I could understand it more if the ball was being thrown at my child by the skilled arm of a 7 or 8 year old pitcher (yes, a bit of exaggeration). But it's sitting still on top of a stick!! AND, they don't even keep score or stats in t-ball. It's an everybody wins kind of thing.
Maybe I'm completely missing the boat on this. Is this just how it works? Have I been living under a big rock completely ignorant about the time commitment necessary for a 5 year old to play t-ball?
The ignorance is possible. We received an email from the coach about the position of "team mom". He stated that he believed many of the mother's would be fighting for this position. I say, let them fight. I'm more than willing to let anyone else have this position if they want it. I have no clue what a team mom is or what she does. And based on my overall knowledge of the whole t-ball experience thus far, I'm guessing I would completely underestimate this commitment as well. But you know what they say about ignorance.... it's bliss.
I believe this year t-ball is going to be a learning experience for all of us. If Donovan is really great at t-ball and if he loves it, then we'll know what to expect next time. If not, then he doesn't have to play. Soccer and basketball will be just around the corner and he can try those next. It really is all about having fun..............isn't it?!
Orphan Sunday, November 6th, 2011
14 years ago

It is so about having fun! No one on our team "fought" over the team mom position, so it's me this year. Our boys are older now, so maybe we past that, not sure. Have you read my blog today? LOL
ReplyDeleteIt just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me either which is why I volunteered for it.
(maybe I under-estimate it too, ha, ha).
As for the 3 nights a week thing...it's a Little League rule that games AND practice combined cannot be more than 3 nights per week. Ashton is in Minor 1---10 years old, and HE's only got TWO practices per week!!! I agree that 3 may be a little much.
We have also always maintained the rule in our house that church/church activities takes precedence over baseball. If you stick with that, it sets the standard for your child. Enjoy it none the less, before you know it, you look up and 5 years old has turned into 10!! We started him early and he LOVES it. AND LOVES basketball. It has been hard at times, with scheduling, but yes, in our household having fun is still what it's about!! I love reading about your family :-) You are a great mom!
If all the practicing/playing turns out to be too much in the future, there is always bowling :) There are leagues for kids (even with bumpers) and it's only on Saturday mornings. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteDana Z.